Tuesday, September 10, 2013

My Opinions on Education

I learn the best when I am in an environment that has a comfortable atmosphere. I like having a low stress lecture where I'm not struggling to take down all of the notes or understand the professor. I also like it when there is a minimal amount of distractions going on. People talking over other people and  music audible through people's head phones are examples things I don't like to have go on while I'm trying to learn something. The best thing I can do to help myself learn is to find an example of the concept I am going over that I understand and study it. A time where I think I learned really well was in the Chemistry class I took last semester. It was something that was really hard for me to understand at first and the lectures and notes were very minimal. I self taught myself a lot and went to many of the professor's office hours and really learned the material. It felt so good to get that A at the end of the semester!

I think the purpose of getting an education is to gain the knowledge needed to get you through life in whatever career path you choose. Some people choose to just do a high school education which minimally prepares you for careers. If a person chooses to move on to college, they are choosing to expand their knowledge to be able to work in the fields that require more than just a high school diploma. Although I think this is one of the main points of education, another is to help you grow as a person. I think that education allows you to experience new things and be introduced to new points of view.

Education means everything to my future. If I was to try to interview for a job now in my field of study, nutrition, I wouldn't know what the interviewer was talking about. I want to be a nutritionist, go to graduate school and be a doctor or a councilor. Without education it would be impossible to do these jobs correctly. I am optimistic about my path because I know I can finish school and reach my career goals. I like going to school and love Ohio State. I'm excited about my future education and what it has to hold.

2 comments:

  1. Education is really important to me too and I am excited to learn a lot more in the next four years. I think it is really cool that you want to be a nutritionist. It is a field I looked into but decided to go a different route as of now. Good luck with your future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with having a relaxed atmosphere. I think if I'm in a pressured situation, like you said struggling to take down notes and understand the professor, my note taking skills will fall apart because I don't have time to understand what I'm doing so I'm just scribbling. A relaxed atmosphere was something I hadn't thought of though, good point!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.