The post I read was called "My Deprived Life: Raising a Family on under $27,000 a year". It was more or less giving a basic rundown of the things he has showing that even though he is frugal, he isn't deprived. He goes through things such as his house, that he picked up for $50,000 less than it was worth, his "toys", all of which are higher quality so that they almost never break, his transportation, including his use of bicycles and used cars. It even goes on to talk about his vacations.
The main idea I think he is trying to get across is that using your money more wisely and being overly frugal doesn't mean you have to live a lifestyle without some nice amenities. I do think this is a legitimate idea. The way he points it out is with buying quality items, they shouldn't need replaced. so therefore it would only need to be bought once. He goes on to explain about how much money could be saved in fuel if you ride a bicycle in town and save the driving for out of town travels. The downside I would think to his argument is that not everyone has the same things as hobbies. What may be good for him (such as he uses the fact carpentry is something he enjoys so working on his house is two birds with one stone) It may be something that isn't good for others. Maybe the readers hobbies involves consistently spending money.
I went on to see that it's perfectly doable. There are many people who do the same. Joanna McFarlane is one of those people, and she received the title of the most frugal New-Englander. She outlines 14 tips on how she saves money while raising kids here: http://www.boston.com/business/personalfinance/gallery/frugaltips/

I think he brings up some interesting points when taking about not being deprived. 27,000 is not a lot of money but he is still able to have nice things and provide for his family. He our economy I believe that more people are going to be looking for ways to save money but still have nice things and this is the way we are going to be able to do it. It is a good topic to think about.
ReplyDeleteThis is a cool idea. I've thought of this before as well, especially since I'm in college now. I basically have planned to get a good laptop so it lasts, and make my own food to save money. One of the best parts about making your own food is that although it takes time, you can eat twice as much for about the same cost or less. If you do it right, frugality only restricts the smallest, least important things in life. You can enjoy less expensive things. Get movies from the library, or just use Youtube to pass the time. Get a good book or listen to music and draw. Hobbies are a great way to stay cheap. For me, it's drawing and playing video games. Both take little to no money and continue for a long time without needing more.
ReplyDeleteThis is really interesting since i plan to become a teaching... and we all know their income is not that great. i think all of his tips on this posting and others about casual spending and being frugal are helpful.
ReplyDeleteThe tips he gives for saving money are quality, and could be used by anyone to save money. With the amount of money he has to spend it is interesting to think that he can still have so much cash to spend. Buying higher quality good is also a good way to save money because it would have less of a chance to break down. Something wrong with some of the ideas is the location of the people, because we can't bike around during winter.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great idea because being a college student we don't have nearly as much time to work anymore so this greatly reduces the amount of money we have to spend. I myself am a terrible spender because I don't think much into the future I live more in the now, so when I'm hungry I just buy the expensive meal instead of making a sandwich or something I could already make for free. Being frugal would greatly benefit me especially when it comes to food.
ReplyDelete