As a college student powering through my undergrad program, it is odd for me to think about job opportunities that do not require a degree. All the jobs my generation aspires to require not only one degree but often a masters and doctorate. Teachers and parents always say "college is the new high school". It is bred into kids these days that college is just the next step not a choice to weigh out. Before reading MMM's blog, when I thought of not having a degree, I associated it with jobs like factory line, gas station attendant, or fast food industry. However, now that I have read his blog and other sites, it does make sense that jobs that do not require a degree are becoming more and more lucrative. Because it is expected that everyone attends college, I think people see jobs that do not require a degree to be beneath them. I know my sense of pride prevents me from dropping out of college and taking up real estate or carpentry if nothing else does. But that attitude is what lead to a technician making more a year than some teachers with years of schooling under their belt do.
After looking further into the topic of degree vs no degree, I found that even though people with a degree generally make more money a year than those who do not graduate from college, a job is not guaranteed. Also, the average student loan dept after graduating college is $27,000 with 68% of Ohio graduates in dept after graduation. So even with a job that pays well, it could take a long to come out on top. So, after weighing the pros and cons, it is up to the person to decide if it is worth it to settle for a job that does not require a degree or stick with their program and ride college out to the end. For me, I think it s worth it to complete my program and graduate college. I do however hope that there is always somebody to build and fix the things that is no longer common knowledge. And as such, deserve an honest pay for it.
"State by state: Student loan dept". CNNMoney Online. CNN. 2013 <http://money.cnn.com/interactive/pf/college/student-debt-map/>.
I think a lot of people forget the people who make their lives so easy. My theory is, wall street can crash but people will still need toilets to do their morning glory's or whatever other blue collar job you can think of.
ReplyDeleteI found this very interesting. I didn't know that there were that many jobs that made $50,000 and up! its nice to hear the other side of the "you need a degree to successed in life" argument.
ReplyDelete