This article was all about how to grocery shop according to Mr. Money Mustache. He gives the reader insight on how he grocery shops and gives reasons for why his method is so beneficial. Mustache states that the two most important factors when grocery shopping is 1) That the food is healthy and natural, and 2) You are maximizing the calorie per cost relationship. What he means by this is you want to get the most calories out of your dollar. For example, he compares blueberries and rolled oats. Blueberries cost around $4-5 per 4oz container and pack little more than 100 calories. However, rolled oats cost about 70 cents per lb and you get close to 1000 calories. Mustache includes that if you ate only blueberries for a year for every meal it would cost you over $60,000/year! On the other hand, if you were to only eat rolled oats, it would cost less than $300/year. When you do this comparison, it really puts in perspective what we should be buying if we are concerned with out grocery budget.
I am a big fan of Mr. Money Mustache's article. I picked it because I have had to start buying my own groceries the last few months since I moved out of my parents house. I have been pretty good about buying healthier, cheaper foods most of the time, but Mustache's idea of calories per cost is something I will really start taking note of. His conventional ideas here are that he wants to save money on groceries, as basically every other American wants to do. I absolutely think his idea is practical. It is also takes some discipline though. He indicates in his article, there are really only about 10% of items in the grocery store that aren't chemically infused and are actually worth buying! This makes shopping almost a mission, where you need to know exactly what you want before you go in. If all Americans took action on Mustache's article, then not only would people be much healthier, but artificial foods that should not be there will start disappearing.
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Grocery-Shopping-Efficient-and-Cheap
This article is really helpful because it is super simple, easy to read, and has good advice. It basically includes the skeleton of MMM's article, but breaks it down into a 12 step system. I like how it includes things like drinks, and herbs because people usually forget about hose things. I also liked the advice to always plan out that you buy enough to cover lunches and breakfast, I forget to do this a lot.

I find it very interesting that Mr. Money Mustache uses the idea of getting the most calories for your dollar. Still living at home my mom does a lot of the grocery shopping and her theory is that she is willing to spend more money on healthier food in the store then paying for the expensive doctors bills when someone gets sick. MMM brings up some very good food for thought ideas and I have found a lot of his blog posts very interesting.
ReplyDeleteThats cool that Mr. Money Mustache was about to get those numbers and see how much you can save calories per dollar. Im glad I dont have to pay for my groceries yet but when I do, MMM's advice seems like it could really help out with saving money!
ReplyDelete