Mr. Money Mustache hit this one right on the head, in my opinion. You either fall into a category of a "complainypants" or a "mustachians". Complainypants, in terms used by younger generations, are "haters". Anyone who is doing something better in their lives to benefit themselves, they will find a way to complain about it because they are simply jealous of that person's achieved status. Mustachians are go-getters. They applaud those who are doing well for themselves and then try to find a way to do something just as good or better for themselves. They have motivation. MMM sums the article up fairly well in the following paragraph, "A Complainypants looks only at results – seeing the external trappings
or the successes of a particular role model’s life, and justifies why he
can’t have those things. And then makes himself unhappy because of not
having those results". If that statement sounds like you, then unfortunately, not just for you but for us all, you're a complainypants. Subliminal message is, if you want something in life, work for it. Don't sit back and criticize others.
I found an article in the NY Times that basically said the same thing as MMM, just nicer and more complex. The article basically says, everyone complains about something. Everyone has their pet-peeves and so forth but for certain complaints instead of just complaining, actually do something about it. Make a change. Become adaptable. Life throws you curve balls, suck it up and swing or just sit on the bench.
http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/06/do-people-complain-too-much/?_r=0
I feel like this is something that is very relatable to everyone at some point. I personallt catch myself complaining and wish I didn't. I think that this is something a lot of people need to hear!
ReplyDeleteI really like this article because I am a firm believer in the idea that you get what you put in. I also believe that many people in our society hate on others for accomplishing things they can't or they refuse to work for. One example of this would be from high school where I was friends with a kid who was the absolutely nicest person i've ever met and he worked so hard for everything he had he was really strong and amazing at football but he never once in the whole time I knew him, insulted anyone, judged anyone, or even acted cocky. You'd think how could anyone dislike this kid right? But there was a decent amount of people who hated him for no reason other than pure jealousy
ReplyDeleteFirst of all I would like to say that your picture is amazing. Also I agree with what MMM is saying, because the world can be made into two categories. There are people who go out and get something they want, and the people who sit around and envy the people with success. Generally those people who envy say they could have done it, but then why didn't they, probably because they were to busy complaining about someone or something else, or were to lazy.
ReplyDeleteI like this article because it can be easily connected to today's society. I agree that working for what you want is very important because not everything can just be handed to you. I also like the analogy that you put at the end of your post.
ReplyDeleteI think a lot of people like to sit back and complain today. We see this most in government. People will always complain about the current idea or solution but are never up to offer a better one. the wings spend so much time putting down the other side's views that if they just improved their own ideas with as much efficiency, we would get a lot further with policies. Good article
ReplyDeleteThis article was interesting and i like the fact that he talks about getting out what you put in. I found some of my friends to be complainypants, but a lot of them are mustachians too.
ReplyDelete