Wednesday, August 28, 2013

50 years ago on August 28, 1963: I Have A Dream, and more!

Often what really helps us learn is context, and one of my teachers back in the day used to always write CIE on the board to remind us that Context Is Everything.

But like anything else worthwhile, it often takes a little digging for us to find that context.  And why should we care about the past anyway?  Because it's not just the past, that's why.  I'm not trying to talk some pyschobabble when I say and mean that the past is really present.

So I'm going to talk about this day 50 years ago in class and tell you a few stories to help  set a context.  I hope it gets you excited to know a little more and find your own angles of pursuit on this tackle, and I've provided some links for you to follow to do just that, so that we don't just let another holiday or event in history pass without really thinking about what it really can mean to us now.

How things have changed since then, but how many questions remain.  Could Mahalia be a star today?  What does her story show us about the need for friendship and inspiration?

Here's some links, and just follow and read at your interest, as many as you can or wish, and then write a comment in the Comments section so we can share our thoughts and ideas on the March on Washington and the people involved.  What stands out to you?  I'll look forward to your comments!

 http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20130827-a-song-that-made-america-believe

 http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/stop-the-presses/gospel-great-mahalia-jackson-gave-wing-mlk-dream-172844132.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT0SUMSjMWw

http://www.entrepreneur.com/slideshow/228061#0

http://www.archives.gov/press/exhibits/dream-speech.pdf

http://abcnews.go.com/US/things-make-dream-famous-speeches-history/story?id=20068795

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahalia_Jackson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riu5ZaY2k2A

http://abcnews.go.com/US/things-make-dream-famous-speeches-history/story?id=20068795

 http://www.forbes.com/sites/carminegallo/2013/08/27/public-speaking-how-mlk-improvised-second-half-of-dream-speech/

Mahalia Jackson is one of the unknown stories at the March on Washington that just makes it so inspiring.  



Martin Luther King Jr. on August 28, 1963.  50 years ago today. And it was hot, just like today in Ohio.

11 comments:

  1. Almost everyone knows what people are talking about if the "I have a dream" speech is mentioned in conversation today. I believe that is because it was such a powerful speech, it had a huge impact on the way people saw things and how they felt about things after hearing that speech. What I find interesting about the information above is Mahalia Jackson's story and the impact she had on this day. The name may ring a bell to me, but I had no clue what her role was during the Washington March. Watching the video of her that day showed me how much passion she had for her singing and inspiring others. She was the one that pushed King Jr. to talk about his dream instead of the notes he had prepared. I believe that Mahalia Jackson could be a star today because of her story she makes others realize that you cannot do much in life in you do not have the friendships to inspire you to set out and do great things. It amazes me to know that even events that happened 50 years ago can still have a huge impact on our lives today. I think it is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The main figure of the civil rights movement that everyone thinks of has to be Martin Luther King Jr., but we have to look at other people involved in the movement because he could not have done all of it by himself. So another main figure in the movement was Mahalia Jackson. She was a big impact because she went to all the events Martin Luther King Jr. asked her to come to, and sang to everyone there. Which makes a hung impact on the people, for one the songs she sang had huge influences on the people to keep going, but more importantly music is a way for people to connect. This allowed different people to come together and find a common source of influence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody knows that without MLK or without his speech we would not be anywhere close to where we are today. He changed the way people thought of discrimination and racism. There was no slavery at the time but there was a lot of racism and only white people could vote and do everything while the other races could not do anything

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take different stand on this subject. Yes, without MLK this probably would not have happened. With that being said, if MLK was still alive today, I don't think he would feel like there is equality. If so, he would be right. Most of today's society is color-blind. Most people think being color-blind is a good thing, when it isn't. Being color-blind, unfortunately, makes people feel like minorities have just as much opportunity in our social system (i.e. jobs, education) as the majority. For those of you who are familiar with the Columbus area, for example, Columbus Public Schools receive approximately $7k-$8k per pupil as opposed to Upper Arlington Schools, who receive approximately $10k-$12k per pupil. Most of the children in the Columbus School Districts are minorities and "shockingly" most of the students in the Upper Arlington Schools are white. I believe the civil rights movement has come far but I don't think that it's anywhere near total equality. As the bumper sticker says, "Coexist". We all need to learn to coexist regardless of gender, religion, race, social class, and sexual orientation. Sometimes I wonder what the world would be like is MLK was still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always interesting to hear about these kinds of inspirations. It's really cool to think about the steel they would have needed to do what they did, especially at a time like that. Just imagining myself in their shoes makes me want to be a better man. I'm glad for what they both did, and for others like them. I hadn't heard of Mahalia Jackson before, but it was cool to hear that there were other heroes I hadn't heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The way I see it, I think the past is what makes our future. Everything about or present has something to do with the past; It's all linked together. MLK's speech has dramatically changed our present time with racial equality. Our country is still far from equal but it's a heck of a lot more equal than it was 50 years ago. Mahalia Jackson had a huge impact on our present today and I think she would be a star today. Her story shows a lot about friendship and inspiration. I think she really shows how much of an impact friendship can have on a person and the effect it can have on everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of Mahalia Jackson before this post. If she did steal the show that day 50 years ago, why isn't she more famous or more known for her contribution? This what stood out to me the most because in the second link it says she did something besides just sing. By saying a simple sentence she altered the way King was addressing the people during the March on Washington. Without her there, the speech might not have gone the way it did. If someone had this much significance during this historic event, why do we not know about them now?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Mahalia Jackson did something out of the ordinary for the Civil Rights Movement, instead of picketing, bus boycotting, speaking, etc. she did something that both races (white and black) could relate to. she sang. singing put the civil rights movement into different perspectives for others, and i think it was smart of her do something other activists werent. it seems that we only hear about the leaders who were killed for what they did, we rarely hear about others who helped along the way. without Jackson's contributions, (finacial or vocal), who knows how the civil rights movement, and MLK Jr's significance would have ended up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read up on what Mahalia Jackson did for the Civil Rights Movement. I think that when most people, engage in picketing or boycotting, it comes off as a aggressive action. Instead of being like that, Mahalia Jackson decided to sing, and I think that the singing proved to be a better way to send the message to both races.

    ReplyDelete
  10. MLK is definitely the most important figure in equality among people. The march on Washington was something that effectively changed a nation. The "I Have A Dream" speech was one of the single most influential speeches in history. Anyone in the present has heard of it, and knows how much it changed in 50 years. Mahalia Jackson seems like an unsung hero. I had never heard of her until this, and after reading her story I feel she did a lot more than just sing. It was non abrasive and singing helps unite people. I do think even in current times she would be popular and inspirational to all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the "I have a dream" speech was one of the most powerful speeches ever given. It wasn't the most popular speech back then, because it was a very controversial subject, but today, it is remembered as one of the biggest things that helped stop segregation. It is right up there with the Gettysburg address,a and other historical speeches. I think that Mahalia Jackson had a major impact on that day as well, but most people don't know it. Her singing helped sooth a lot of people, which is always a good thing. When she pushed Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to go give a speech, and talk to hundreds of thousands of people, she helped change the outcome of the future. He may have had the right words to say and things to bring up, but she pushed him to say it. I'm not sure without her, that he would have even spoken full heated, instead of just what was lying on a piece of paper in front of him.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.